Missing woman was murdered, police say Police have arrested a Southeast man for the murder of 18-year-old Latisha Frazier, who was reported missing in August.

Twenty-three-year-old Brian Gaither was arrested Sunday and charged with second-degree murder.

His arraignment is scheduled for Monday.

Gaither assaulted and killed Frazier during a dispute on Aug. 2, 2010 on the 1700 block of Trenton Place SE, according to the charges.

Frazier was reported missing on Aug. 4, and police did not begin investigating her disappearance as a homicide until Jan. 21.

"My heart goes out to the family of Latisha Frazier for their loss," D.C. Metropolitan Police Chief Lanier said. "The community providing information to police and press coverage about Latisha's disappearance were essential to us closing this case."

Car strikes stalled vehicle on the Beltway, killing one

A man is dead and another man is in critical condition after their disabled car was hit by another vehicle in Landover late Saturday.

Maryland State Police say the victims' car broke down on Interstate 495 South near Landover road before midnight.

The driver was standing outside the vehicle, which stalled in the third lane, and the passenger was seated inside when the vehicle struck them.

The driver was killed and the passenger was taken to the hospital with serious injuries, police say.

The victims' names have not been released.

The driver of the second vehicle was not injured and has not been charged.

Police advise drivers experiencing car trouble to coast to the shoulder of a roadway if possible and call for help. On the shoulder of the highway, drivers should exit the vehicle cautiously -- on the passenger side -- and wait for help at a safe distance from the passing cars.

If the car is unable to make it to the shoulder, drivers should call 911 and assess whether it is safer to dash for the shoulder or remain inside the car. Both decisions could be equally dangerous, police say.

Townhouse blaze injures firefighters

A fire broke out in a Springfield townhouse Saturday morning, injuring one resident and three firefighters.

The injured firefighters were caught in a flashover. None are in critical condition, police say. A woman living in the house is in critical but stable condition. The blaze burned down the townhouse, leaving the residents homeless.

- Hayley Peterson