Hillary Clinton is facing mounting pressure to end her family's affiliation with the Clinton Foundation immediately as new details emerge about the special access its donors enjoyed at the State Department.
A review of partial versions of her official schedules, obtained by the Associated Press in a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, revealed Tuesday that the majority of meetings Clinton granted to non-State Department officials were held with donors to her campaigns or foundation.
Two separate batches of emails — the 378 pages made public by Citizens United Tuesday and the 725 pages released by Judicial Watch Monday — contained dozens of examples of Clinton Foundation employees or donors who enjoyed direct lines to the highest levels of the State Department.
And a set of call logs from the office of Cheryl Mills, who then served as Clinton's chief of staff and who is presently a board member at the Clinton Foundation, showed charity employees frequently contacted Clinton's closest aide.
The resulting backlash has prompted Republicans — and even some Democrats — to demand Clinton go beyond her husband's pledge to curtail foreign and corporate donations if she wins the White House by divesting herself of the charity now.
Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., said the impending ban on certain contributions amounted to a "fire sale" at the foundation.
"The Clinton Foundation should stop accepting foreign and corporate contributions immediately," Cotton said in a statement that was circulated by Donald Trump's campaign. "Announcing that they won't accept them after the election is worse than doing nothing."
Rudy Giuliani, a top Trump surrogate, said Clinton had "made a mockery" of a 2009 agreement with the administration to limit and disclose foreign donations while serving as secretary of state.
"It is now abundantly clear that the Clintons set up a business to profit from public office," the former New York City mayor said. "They sold access and specific actions for money."
Their criticism came days after the Boston Globe, a newspaper that endorsed Clinton, called on the foundation to suspend its acceptance of overseas donations.
Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., said Sunday that the Clinton Foundation "clearly needs to change the way they do business" if Clinton wins the presidency.
Ed Rendell, former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said the Clintons would need to "disband" the foundation if Trump loses in November, arguing the first family could not continue to operate the philanthropic network "without at least the appearance of a problem."
But Trump has taken his critique of the charity one step farther, calling on the Justice Department to appoint a special prosecutor in an investigation of alleged corruption.
Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, backed Trump in his push for independent counsel Tuesday, holding a conference call with reporters to discuss the need for a criminal probe.
.@RealDonaldTrump is right to call for a Special Prosecutor into the @clintonfdn that can be trusted to get to the bottom of this matter— Reince Priebus (@Reince) August 23, 2016
The FBI reportedly asked the Justice Department to pursue a public corruption case earlier this year after receiving complaints of "suspicious activity" from an unidentified bank. However, senior members of the agency declined to open an inquiry into the foundation following a disagreement over how they should handle the FBI referral.
While Clinton herself has declined to address the controversy surrounding the charity, a spokesman for her campaign argued Tuesday the family does not want to "completely close up shop" regardless of the election results.
The Democratic nominee's avoidance of the media has begun to draw attention in the context of growing concern over her private emails, many of which she did not disclose to the State Department, and the speculation about Clinton Foundation donors.
Clinton has not held a press conference in 263 days.