UVALDE, Texas — Gov. Greg Abbott said he was "misled" about the police response to the Robb Elementary School shooting earlier this week and is "livid" about receiving inaccurate information.

"The information that I was given turned out in part to be inaccurate, and I’m absolutely livid about that," Abbott said during a press conference at Uvalde High School Friday afternoon. "My expectation is that the law enforcement leaders that are leading the investigations, which includes the Texas Rangers and the FBI, they get to the bottom of every fact with absolute certainty."

"My expectation is that as we speak and in every minute going forward, law enforcement is going to earn the trust of the public by doing exactly what they’re supposed to do from this point on," Abbott added.

Abbott's admission of disappointment with law enforcement stands out particularly because he has been a long-standing supporter of law enforcement.


The about-face comes two days after the governor held his first press conference on the attack that left 19 children and two teachers dead Tuesday. Abbott had praised police for their "amazing courage" in responding to the attack.

“The reason it was not worse is because law enforcement officials did what they do,” Abbott said Wednesday.

In the time since then, videos and accounts from parents who were outside the school during the attack showed they implored law enforcement officers, who did not enter the school for upward of 40 minutes after the shooting began, to stop the gunman. Officers outside had barred parents from going inside to get their children. As the timeline of events becomes clearer, it appears to have been little more than 90 minutes from the first calls to police to the time law enforcement killed the shooter, identified as local 18-year-old Salvador Ramos.

Texas Department of Public Safety Col. Steve McCraw admitted officers' error Friday morning, telling media that waiting outside rather than going inside the classroom where Ramos had barricaded himself had been the "wrong decision."

Abbott said Friday that he had shared the exact information that he had been given by authorities minutes before taking the stage Wednesday.


The governor also announced that an anonymous donor had provided $175,000 to cover the funeral expenses of all 21 victims. The state has also created a 24-hour hotline for all residents of the community to call and arrange free counseling.