Spurred by a fatal New Year's Day blaze, fire officials in Prince George's County have launched an initiative to make sure all homes in the county have working smoke detectors. Acting Chief Marc Bashoor says firefighters will work with other community groups to go door-to-door to check for functioning smoke alarms over the next six months.

On Jan. 1, an early-morning fire at a home on the 2700 block of Fairlawn Street in Temple Hills left one man dead.

The blaze appears to be have been caused by a space heater, and there were no smoke alarms in the home, according to Prince George's County fire and emergency services. The victim has not been identified.