Indiana Gov. Mike Pence said Tuesday that new documents released about Hillary Clinton's numerous meetings with Clinton Foundation donors while she led the State Department show that she was letting money influence foreign policy decisions.
"The fact Hillary Clinton's official schedule was full of meetings with Clinton Foundation donors is further evidence of the pay-to-play politics at her State Department," Donald Trump's running mate said in a statement.
"No one is above the law," he added. "The Clinton Foundation must be immediately shut down and an independent special prosecutor be appointed to determine if access to Hillary Clinton was for sale. It would be a dereliction of duty by President Obama and his Justice Department if they fail to act on these startling news facts."
The Republican National Committee also put out a statement Tuesday, echoing the Indiana governor.
"The evidence is clear – it's time a special prosecutor be appointed to investigate the growing proof of pay-to-play at Hillary Clinton's State Department," said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus. "This is among the strongest and most unmistakable pieces of evidence of what we've long suspected: at Hillary Clinton's State Department, access to the most sensitive policy makers in U.S. diplomacy was for sale to the highest bidder.
"By not appointing a special prosecutor, President Obama is endorsing the actions of a secretary of state who broke ethics agreements regarding foreign donations to her family foundation, took a majority of her non-governmental meetings with donors to that foundation, and who exclusively conducted all of her correspondence while in office over a secret server housed in a basement to skirt transparency laws and then lied about it to the American people. Before voters go to the polls, there needs to be an investigation," he added.
Out of 154 non-government officials who met or had phone calls scheduled with Clinton when she worked the top spot at the State Department, approximately 85 either donated directly to the foundation or "pledged commitments to its international programs," the Associated Press reported Tuesday, citing State Department calendars.
Those 85 donors donated a combined total of $156 million to Clinton-owned entities.
"At least 40 donated more than $100,000 each, and 20 gave more than $1 million," the AP noted. "Some of Clinton's most influential visitors donated millions to the Clinton Foundation and to her and her husband's political coffers."
Bill Clinton announced last week that the foundation would stop accepting donations from foreign and corporate entities should the Democratic candidate win the presidency.
But Clinton's pledge would not affect "more than 6,000 donors who have already provided the Clinton charity with more than $2 billion in funding since its creation in 2000," the AP noted.
Concerns that the foundation poses a serious conflict of interest to the Clintons have been shared by actors on both sides of the aisle, including by the Boston Globe's editorial board, which argued the organization should be shuttered entirely if the Democratic nominee wins this fall.
The same newspaper also reported this week that even with the pledge to halt foreign and corporate donations to the foundation, much of the Clintons' network of charitable foundations would be exempt from this policy.