Otto Warmbier, the University of Virginia student detained by North Korea for more than a year, died Monday, his family said in a statement.

"It would be easy at a moment like this to focus on all that we lost — future time that won't be spent with a warm, engaging, brilliant young man whose curiosity and enthusiasm for life knew no bounds," his family's statement read. "But we choose to focus on the time we were given to be with this remarkable person."

"You can tell from the outpouring of emotions from the communities that he touched — Wyoming, Ohio, and the University of Virginia to name just two — that the love for Otto went well beyond his immediate family."

Warmbier, who was 22, was detained at Pyongyang Airport in North Korea in January 2016. The following March, North Korean officials sentenced him to 15 years of hard labor for allegedly committing a "hostile act" against the country after security footage emerged of him attempting to steal a banner hanging in his Pyongyang hotel.

He was released last week and returned home to his family in Ohio. Warmbier was in a coma, and doctors at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center said Thursday the UVA student was in a state of "unresponsive wakefulness" and suffered loss of brain tissue in all regions of his brain.

During a speech in Miami on Friday, President Trump praised Warmbier's return and thanked Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and his team for the role they played in securing the 22-year-old's release.

"What's happened to him is a truly terrible thing, but at least the ones who love him so much can now take care of him and be with him," Trump said.

Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, mourned Warmbier's death in a statement released Monday.

"Otto Warmbier was such a promising young man," Portman said. "He was kind, generous and accomplished. He had all the talent you could ever ask for and a bright future ahead of him. His passing today is a loss for Ohio and for all of us."

Warmbier's parents, Fred and Cindy Warmbier, thanked the doctors at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, but said the "awful, tortuous mistreatment" he received from North Koreans "ensured that no other outcome was possible beyond the sad one we experienced today."

"When Otto returned to Cincinnati late on June 13th he was unable to speak, unable to see and unable to react to verbal commands. He looked very uncomfortable—almost anguished," his family said. "Although we would never hear his voice again, within a day the countenance of his face changed—he was at peace. He was home and we believe he could sense that."

In his own statement, Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, recognized Warmbier's parents and said their "grace in the face of this unthinkable grief is truly remarkble."

"The strength and love of their family continues to inspire us all," he said.