An Illinois man found himself in a Wisconsin hospital after he inhaled a 1-inch drill bit during a routine dental procedure.

A rare operation then took place at a Kenosha hospital to remove the metal drill bit from 60-year-old Tom Jozsi's lung, according to a report.


"Well, I don't know. I was at the dentist getting a tooth filled, and then next thing I know, I was told I swallowed this tool," Jozsi said. "I didn't really even feel it going down. All I felt was a cough. When they did the CT scan, they realized, 'You didn't swallow it. You inhaled it.'"

WATCH: WOMAN MIRACULOUSLY SURVIVES COLLAPSE UNDER MOVING TRAIN

The man inhaled the drill bit so deeply that traditional medical scopes were unable to reach it, Dr. Abdul Alraiyes, a pulmonary expert, said.

"When I saw the CAT scan, and where that object is sitting, it was really far down on the right lower lobe of the lung," Alraiyes said.

"What happens if he can't get it out? And the answer really was part of my lung was going to have to get removed," Jozsi said.

A team at the Aurora Medical Center-Kenosha had to turn to a new device to remove the sharp metal object, the report noted.

"It's more for early detection of cancer, especially lung cancer," Alraiyes said. "The reason is this: the size of this catheter."

After using the tool to navigate his airways, the team retrieved the item without harming Jozsi.

"I was never so happy as when I opened my eyes and I saw him with a smile under that mask shaking a little plastic container with the tool in it," Jozsi said.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

Jozsi said he kept the drill bit.