Turkey says it will reveal all of the details it can about the disappearance, death, and assumed dismemberment of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Numan Kurtulmus, deputy leader of the country's ruling Justice and Development party, said "Turkey will never allow a cover-up" after the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs admitted Friday that Khashoggi had been killed in the consulate in Istanbul, according to the Associated Press.
Saudi Arabia suggested Khashoggi died in a “fist fight” and said it had arrested 18 people suspected to be involved with his killing.
"The heart grieves, the eye tears, and with your separation we are saddened, my dear Jamal,” Hatice Cengiz said in a tweet (as translated by Reuters) after Saudi Arabia admitted her fiance was dead.
[Also read: After Jamal Khashoggi disappeared, a Saudi agent left the consulate wearing his clothes]
إن القلب ليحزن، وإن العين لتدمع، وإنا على فراقك يا حبيبي جمال لمحزونون.#شهيد_الكلمة#الشهيد_جمال_خاشقجي#ولكم_في_القصاص_حياة#أين_جسد_الشهيد_خاشقجي— Hatice Cengiz / خديجة (@mercan_resifi) October 20, 2018
Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and Saudi dissident who was living with a green card in Virginia, entered the consulate in Istanbul Oct. 2 to obtain paperwork to marry Cengiz, who is Turkish. After that, he was not seen again.
The Turkish government has vowed from the get-go that they would help get to the bottom of the mystery behind Khashoggi’s disappearance and death.
The BBC reported that according to Anadolu, a Turkish news agency, ruling party spokesman Omer Celik said: "Turkey will reveal whatever had happened. Nobody should ever doubt about it. We are not accusing anyone in advance, but we don't accept anything to remain covered [up]."
Turkish investigators also say they have audio and video evidence proving Khashoggi was killed and dismembered inside the consulate by a team of Saudi agents.