White House press secretary Sarah Sanders defended first lady Melania Trump amid days of criticism from the co-hosts of “The View.”
In a tweet Friday, Sanders called it “sad” that the talk show continued its “disgusting attacks” on Trump.
“The left’s ‘war on women’ they disagree with is a disgrace,” she wrote. The first lady "is strong, accomplished, and has a lot more class than the women who bully her.”
Sad @TheView continues their disgusting attacks on @FLOTUS. The left’s “war on women” they disagree with is a disgrace. @FLOTUS is strong, accomplished, and has a lot more class than the women who bully her— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) October 12, 2018
Trump’s spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham had told the talk show hosts to “respect” the first lady.
Guest co-host Yvette Nicole Brown speculated earlier Friday whether Trump had been her husband’s mistress before they married, in response to the first lady saying the president’s alleged affairs were “not a concern” of hers.
Trump had been asked about the president’s alleged infidelities during an interview with ABC News while she was in Africa last week.
“I am a mother and the first lady, and I have much more important things to think about and to do,” Trump said.
“The View” co-hosts had also been critical of Trump on Thursday’s show over her comments about the #MeToo movement.
"I do stand with women, but we need to show the evidence," Trump said during the ABC interview.