Sandals Resorts has installed carbon monoxide detectors in all of its guest rooms at the Sandals Emerald Bay in the Bahamas after three U.S. tourists died and a fourth fell ill from what was ruled as carbon monoxide poisoning.
The resort company, which operates 15 all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, also hired environmental safety experts to conduct a "comprehensive review of all systems across the resort" alongside the hardware improvements, the resort said in a statement to the Washington Post.
"Ensuring the safety and well-being of our guests and team members is and will always be paramount," the statement said.
MYSTERIOUS BAHAMAS DEATHS ATTRIBUTED TO CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, from Tennessee, as well as Vincent Chiarella, 64, from Florida, were found unresponsive with no signs of trauma on their bodies when resort employees located them in their rooms on May 6. Chiarella's wife, Donnis, was flown to a Miami hospital for treatment.
The four guests reported to a local clinic the day prior, complaining of nausea and vomiting, officials said. The trio died from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Nassau Guardian.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
The deadly incident was limited to that guest house, the resort added.
"Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have concluded the cause was an isolated incident in one stand-alone structure that housed two individual guest rooms and was in no way linked to the resort's air conditioning system, food, and beverage service, landscaping services, or foul play," the company said.