O.J. Simpson will get to celebrate Christmas as a free man for the first time in over a decade.
The Nevada Board of Parole granted the former football star an early discharge for a 2007 armed robbery in Las Vegas, Kim Yoko Smith, a spokeswoman for the Nevada Department of Public Safety, told the Washington Examiner.
SUNDAY POLITICAL SHOWS IGNORE JUSSIE SMOLLETT VERDICT
“Mr. Simpson is a completely free man now,” Simpson's lawyer, Malcolm LaVergne, said, according to the Associated Press.
He had been on parole since his 2017 release from prison that had been scheduled to end Feb. 9. The early parole discharge, which resulted from good behavior credits, cuts his term by a little over two months.
Simpson, 74, was convicted in 2008 for orchestrating an armed heist in a Las Vegas casino in 2007 in which he took sports memorabilia. He was charged with armed robbery and kidnapping.
Simpson spent nine years in prison for his conviction. His original sentencing at the time was for 33 years with the chance of getting parole after nine.
Simpson had previously been acquitted for the killing of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman in 1995. The case attracted widespread national attention.
The Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners received a recommendation from the Division of Parole and Probation to grant Simpson an early discharge, Smith said. The decision was ratified Dec. 6.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
The Washington Examiner reached out to Simpson's lawyer for comment but did not receive a response.
Simpson, who maintains an active Twitter presence, has not addressed the news as of press time. His lawyer retweeted stories about his parole ending.