Coroners have determined the cause of death for three Americans who were found dead at a Bahamas resort.
The autopsy and toxicology reports of Michael and Robbie Phillips and Vincent Chiarella were released on Monday. The new reports revealed that the causes of death were less suspicious than expected.
BIDEN WALKS BACK CONCERN ABOUT MONKEYPOX, SAYS IT'S NOT AS CONCERNING AS COVID-19
The trio died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Sandals Resort, according to the Nassau Guardian. No additional information has been released.
The Phillips and Chiarella reported feeling ill on May 5 and reported to a local clinic, according to local authorities. Donnis Chiarella also reported feeling sick but was flown out of the Bahamas to a Miami hospital on May 8 to get additional medical care.
Carbon monoxide poisoning and deaths have been a problem at vacation resorts in the past. At least 12 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning at short-term rentals in 2019. Resorts outside of the United States appear to have been a particular source of carbon monoxide poisonings.
At least 14 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning while vacationing in the Dominican Republic between 2016 and 2019, according to Fox 13.
The main way to counter the spread of carbon monoxide is a carbon monoxide sensor.
"Carbon monoxide detectors are the only way to detect this odorless, colorless, life-threatening gas," said Diane Calello, executive and medical director of the New Jersey Poison Control Center at Rutgers University, after 25 people were hospitalized at an Idaho vacation home from exposure in 2020. "Unfortunately, laws requiring CO detectors vary across accommodations like chain hotels, vacation rentals, bed and breakfasts in the U.S. and abroad."
Resort staff alerted police around 9 a.m. on May 6 that two men and a woman were found unresponsive, according to the police. Police entered one villa and found a "Caucasian male lying on the ground unresponsive." Police were then directed to a second villa, where they found the second man "slumped against a wall in a bathroom unresponsive." The woman was "found in a bedroom on a bed."
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
The two people in the second villa showed signs of "convulsion," according to police, but none of the deceased people had signs of trauma on their bodies.
Representatives from the Sandals Resort did not respond to requests for comment from the Washington Examiner.