The suspected shooter at a Michigan high school did not knock on the door and try to lure students out of a barricaded room Tuesday as was previously speculated from a viral video, according to authorities.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard held a press conference on Wednesday and said he wanted to "clear up" any misinformation floating around about the shooting that killed four students and injured seven others at Oxford High School in the Detroit suburbs.
"Social media keeps ginning up a great deal of false information," Bouchard said.
DENVER POLICE ARREST THREE TEENAGERS IN CONNECTION TO FRIDAY SCHOOL SHOOTING
Bouchard said a video circulating around depicted "students in a classroom" along with "someone knocking on the door."
"The allegation was that that was the suspect," Bouchard said. "We've now been able to determine that was not the suspect. More than likely it was one of our plainclothes detectives. And he may have been talking 'bro' in a conversational manner to try to bring them down from the crisis."
The Daily Mail and others reported phone video footage showing students in a locked classroom and said it was the suspected shooter trying to lure them out by saying, "Sheriff's office! You can come out," followed by the use of the word "bro."
Afterward, students can be seen climbing through a classroom window to safety.
The shooting happened in about five minutes, and the suspect was taken into custody without any resistance to the arresting officers, according to authorities.
The suspected shooter is a 15-year-old student at the school, identified as Ethan Crumbley, who has been charged as an adult with four counts of first-degree murder, one count of terrorism causing death, seven counts of assault with the intent to kill, and 12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
This is the booking photo of 15-year old Ethan Crumbley. He’s being charged as an adult for the mass shooting at Oxford High on Tuesday. @clickondetroit @Local4News #OxfordHigh pic.twitter.com/CJtznPVDPA— Larry Spruill Jr (@LarryWDIVLocal4) December 2, 2021
The suspect appeared at his arraignment Wednesday afternoon via video, and his parents, who observed, identified themselves as Jennifer and James Crumbley. The suspect's lawyer pleaded not guilty on his behalf, according to The New York Times. Because he is being tried as an adult, Crumbley could face life in prison if convicted.
The four students who died have been identified as Hanna St. Julian, 14, Tate Myre, 16, Madisyn Baldwin, 17, and Justin Shilling, 17.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
The Washington Examiner reached out to the Oakland County Sheriff's Department for a statement.