The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles withdrew its recommendation to pardon George Floyd posthumously for a 2004 Houston drug charge.
A spokesman for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott told the Dallas Morning News the decision was made because it "contained procedural errors and lack of compliance with Board rules."
Floyd is among a group of 25 people the Board had rejected.
It is a yearly tradition for the Texas governor to pardon state residents for minor offenses committed years ago. The Board unanimously recommended Floyd's pardon in October after a request was filed in April, reports the Associated Press.
JUDGE DENIES MICHAEL FLYNN'S RESTRAINING ORDER REQUEST AGAINST JAN. 6 COMMITTEE
In 2004, an officer arrested Floyd in Houston for selling $10 worth of crack in a police sting. Floyd later pleaded guilty to a drug charge and was sentenced to 10 months in a state jail.
Allison Mathis, a public defender in Houston, filed for the pardon. Mathis claims the arresting officer, Gerald Goines, made up an informant in Floyd's case and that "no one bothered to question the word of a veteran cop against that of a previously-convicted Black man."
Goines was charged with counts of felony murder in connection to a 2019 drug raid when a couple was killed.
Mathis claims she had not been informed of any problems regarding the application, telling the Morning News the withdrawal "smacks of something untoward."
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Mathis also claimed politics affected the withdrawal.
"Greg Abbott and his political appointees have let their politics triumph over the right thing to do and what clearly is justice. This is actually outrageous. I expected an up or a down vote. I did not expect this kind of misconduct," Mathis said.
Floyd was killed at the age of 46 in May 2020 during an arrest in Minneapolis.
Footage of his arrest and subsequent death went viral, leading to protests and unrest in cities across the United States, as well as a debate about whether police were necessary.
Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murder in April and was sentenced to 22.5 years in prison.
Abbott's office did not respond to requests for comment from the Washington Examiner.