The death toll for the shooting against people who had gathered for a baby-naming ceremony at a Jewish synagogue has risen to 11, local officials confirmed Saturday.

No children were killed, Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Wendell Hissrich said at a press conference, tearing up during his remarks.

Bob Jones, an FBI Pittsburgh special agent, said that the suspect, Robert Bowers, did not appear to have been known to law enforcement before the shooting Saturday.

He promised the FBI would look at "everything in the suspect's life" including his home, motor vehicle, and social media accounts.

"This is the most horrific crime scene I have seen in my 22 years with the Federal Bureau of Investigations," Jones said. "Members of the Tree of Life Synagogue conducting a peaceful service in their place of worship were brutally murdered by a gunman targeting them simply because of their faith."

He added that the gunman's full motive wasn't known but that officials believe he was acting on his own.

Bowers, 46, allegedly entered the Tree of Life Synagogue yelling that "all Jews must die," though officials told reporters at the press conference that they were still collecting information about what was said.

"We do not have that information at this time," Jones said.

President Trump earlier in the day declared the attack an "anti-Semitic act."

Bowers was described to local CBS affiliate as a white male, heavy-set, with a beard. Jones confirmed that he had an assault weapon and at least three handguns, though officials said they did not yet know which firearm he used, or whether he had used several of them, to carry out his attack.

Bowers, a Pittsburgh resident, entered the synagogue and was there about 20 minutes before opening fire, according to Jones. He carried out his attack and as he went to leave a police officer confronted him at the exit. Bowers wounded the officer and then went back inside the synagogue to hide from SWAT officers outside the synagogue.

Officials have Bowers in custody at the hospital, and Wendell described him as in "fair condition" but said he had multiple gunshot wounds that officials believe came from police rather than being self-inflicted.

Wendell said he would "not get into" whether Bowers was speaking with authorities.

Four male officers were shot as they worked to rescue the people inside the synagogue. Two other people were injured, according to local officials. They did not find any evidence of explosives.

Chief Scott Schubert said at the press conference that the four police officers who were injured were in stable condition.

"We can't forget the victims inside the synagogue who lost their life," he said.

Two victims are in "critical condition" while the others are doing well, Dr. Don Yearly, who oversees emergency medicine for the University of Pittsburgh, said at the press conference.

Patients are being cared for at UPMC Presbyterian, UPMC Mercy, and Allegheny General Hospital, with either single injuries or multiple injuries.

"Two are in critical condition, and the others are doing well," Yearly said. "They are injured, but I would not describe them as 'critical.'"

Four victims are receiving medical care at UPMC Presbyterian. One female patient, 61, is recovering. Another male, 70, is in his second of three expected surgeries and is in "critical" condition. An officer, 55, had "multiple extremity" wounds, and another officer had soft tissue wounds and is doing "fine."

A 27-year-old officer is at UPMC Mercy and Yearly described him as doing "fine."