LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Michigan Supreme Court has ruled that the installers of an electric dryer had no legal duty to warn a Detroit-area woman whose house exploded in 2007 about an uncapped gas line.
The court's 4-3 ruling was released Thursday.
MLive.com reports (http://bit.ly/Svyt2Y ) that when Marcy Hill bought the home in Macomb County's Clinton Township in 2003 she wasn't aware the previous owners didn't cap a gas line to a dryer they took with them. Her lawsuit claims that installers that put in an electric one didn't cap the line, warn her about it and hid it with the new dryer.
The home exploded in 2007 after Hill inadvertently opened a valve in her furnace room that supplied the uncapped line. Hill, her daughter and her son had serious burns.