A man convicted of killing two people in a 2000 drive-by shooting near a D.C. high school has been charged with five more murders, dating back to 1994.

Ronald T. Brisbon Jr., 35, of Southeast Washington, was arrested on three counts of first-degree premeditated murder while armed and two counts of first-degree murder while armed in five separate killings. All involved the use of a gun.

"The closure of these cold cases continues to reinforce the message to criminals that you will not get away with murder in this city, no matter how much time has passed," D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said in a statement Tuesday. The announcement closes four of the District's more than 4,000 unsolved cold cases.

The slayings occurred between 1994 and 2000. Four of the victims were teenagers. The fifth victim was a 41-year-old woman who was found on the 4600 block of Hillside Road SE after police responded to a call of foul odor. Officers found the body of Marilyn Johnson with a gunshot wound, and she was pronounced dead on the scene.

Another suspect was arrested in 2002 and charged with her death. The disposition of that case was unclear Tuesday night.

The first of the five killings Brisbon was charged with Thursday occurred Oct. 11, 1994, police said. Eighteen-year-old Awan Jackson was found in a vehicle on the 5000 block of Benning Road SE suffering from a gunshot wound and later pronounced dead.

The next victim was killed four years later, police said. On Nov. 9, 1998, Reginald Winters, 18, was found dead at 17th and A streets SE.

On Nov. 27, 1999, Brisbon shot and killed two more teenagers, police said. Dejuan Ray, 18, was found in a vehicle on the 1400 block of D Street SE suffering from several gunshot wounds and died. A second victim, 19-year-old Jamar Adair, died two days later.

Police said the Ray and Adair slayings were premeditated.

In 2002, Brisbon was sentenced to 65 years to life after he and another man were convicted of shooting into a crowd outside Eastern High School, killing a pair of 21-year-olds.

Police arrested Brisbon at the D.C. Jail on Thursday. It's unclear why officials waited five days to release the news. Police spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump did not return calls for comment.