Parents of two Americans who were killed in the 2012 terror attack in Benghazi filed a lawsuit against Hillary Clinton Monday, alleging her leadership of the State Department at the time of the attack led to their wrongful deaths and subsequent emotional distress for the families.
Patricia Smith, mother of Sean Smith, and Charles Woods, father of Tyrone Woods, accused Clinton of lying to them about the nature of the violence when she met with the victims' families just days after four U.S. personnel were killed in the Libyan town.
"During the private meeting, Defendant Clinton lied to Plaintiffs and told Plaintiffs that the Benghazi Attack was the result of the anti-Muslim YouTube video that had been posted online and that the creator of the video would be arrested," the court documents said. The filing also noted Woods had "recorded the conversation" in his diary.
Smith's speech at the Republican National Convention, in which she personally blamed Clinton for the death of her son, was one of the most widely discussed moments of the entire week.
Clinton responded by telling a reporter days later that Smith likely misremembered their meeting due to the intense emotion she was experiencing.
The Benghazi parents are being represented by Larry Klayman, a right-wing lawyer with a long history of filing lawsuits against high-profile figures. Their lawsuit is unlikely to affect Clinton's presidential campaign.